Because Jesus has been raised, and we are united to Jesus, we have been raised to newness of life as well. This means that we are free from sin and death in our inward man, but our bodies are still awaiting the resurrection and feel the bondage of sin and death.
1. Jesus' death and resurrection made us free from sin and death (v.6-7)
2. We don't let sin rule in our mortal bodies (v.12)
3. Why not sin if we are not under law but under grace? (v.15-19)
Questions for further discussion:
1. Why do people sin? Is it because they are tempted, or is it because they are sinful?
2. Why did Jesus' death and resurrection need to be our death and resurrection?
3. What does Jesus' death pay for? And what does the resurrection accomplish?
4. As Christians, who have died and been raised with Christ, are we still, by nature, sinners? why or why not? And what kind of implications does this have in regard to our obeying God?